Halloween is usually a day full of sweets, but we can still celebrate and be healthy with these cute Jack-o'-lantern stuffed peppers! Don't get me wrong, I will DEFINITELY be nomming on candy, but I'm still going to get my protein & veggies in for the day!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup diced tomatoes
8 orange bell peppers
1.5 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups of part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil and cook onions and garlic for 3 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the ground turkey to the pan, followed by salt & pepper. Stir & cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the zucchini & diced tomatoes. Cook until zucchini has begun to soften and remove from heat.
4. Cut the top off of the bell pepper low enough that the stem remains attached and remove the seeds. Save the top!
5. Carefully, carve out your desired Jack-o'-lantern face using a paring knife. Repeat for the rest f the bell peppers.
6. Place carved bell peppers in a baking dish and spoon in a layer of cooked brown rice in the bottom, followed by the turkey mixture. Top each with 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese. Put the top of each bell pepper back on.
7. Bake for about 35 minutes or until peppers are tender and the cheese has melted.
I think they look even more Halloween-like when they after they've been baked. Enjoy!
Makes eight servings.
21 Day Fix Containers: 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, 1/2 blue, 1 tsp.