80 Day Obsession Journal - Week 7

Rachel Reaches_Week 7.png

Alright, Week 7 is in the books! We hit the halfway mark during this week - day 40/80. I'm amazed at how far I've come, but I know I've still got a long way to go. T

his past week has had some high moments as well as low moments. I had late nights after school each week for the musical and just stayed through, instead of going home, to save on mileage and gas. This meant that I had to meal prep EVERY meal of the week and pack it with me each day. I also brought along things to make tea (with some 1% milk and raw honey) in my classroom. 

On the very first day of the work week, I ended up eating the entire jar of honey that I brought with me, a la Winnie-the-Pooh. I don't even know what really happened; I would have a spoonful and then I just felt compelled to finish the whole thing. Like I had to do it. I thought I had really kicked my sugar craving back in Week 2 of this program, but it came back with a vengeance on this day.


I initially was extremely disappointed in myself and turned to the awesome ladies in my 80 Day Slay challenge group for support. They totally built me back up and I knew that I would make the next day a fresh start. And then I went to my musical rehearsal and conducted for two and a half hours and I'm pretty sure I worked off a bunch of that sugar, haha. Conducting a show every single night for two weeks is in itself an arm workout!

And you know what? The rest of the week turned around! I finished listening to my audiobook ("Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders) and started listening to some BOPS on my way to and from work. I had some really great energized days. And it was getting warm out!

Then on Thursday night, right as I was starting to feel like I was stuck in my own personal Groundhog Day (wake up, work out, teach, rehearse, sleep, repeat), the weather took and turn and it began to snow a TON. I got up early on Friday anyway to get my workout done (just in case I did have to go in to work), but we did get a snow day :) I'm glad I worked out early, though. Doing something active every day is just a part of my routine now, like brushing my teeth. It is a habit more than anything. A healthy habit!


Friday was the best possible day to get a snow day. It landed right on a day with no musical rehearsal, where our students could get lots of rest and enjoy a 3-day weekend (with one tech rehearsal). My own dress rehearsal on Friday evening got cancelled due to the weather, but it was ok. It's a professional group that I sing with and we were ready for our concerts on Saturday and Sunday.

I grocery shopped on Saturday and did some meal prep on Sunday. I love having my routine! This is it coming up - the big week. The 6-day reason why I almost didn't embark on this 80-day journey AT ALL: tech week.

For those of you who have ever been involved in high school theatre before, you know that tech week is a long, grueling process. It's a week where, once you arrive to work each morning, you think, "Wasn't I JUST here?". And you were. Precisely 9 hours ago.

And yet I will still get up and fit in my 40-60 minute workouts and grab my meal prepped food and shower and drive to work to teach. It will happen because I want it to happen. I'm seeing results and I like the way I feel. I've made this a discipline. "It always seems impossible until it is done".


Last week, as I was remarking to my beginning band students how I was impressed that not a single one of them had quit this year (as 5th graders had in years past), one of my flute students said to me, "Well, I remember in the beginning of the year, you said don't quit, that it will be hard at first, but that's not a reason to quit. And it was hard but now I can play!". <3

We can do hard things, people. ONWARD.